Cuff-link storage

One thing Richard complained about for a while was how to store all the various cuff-links and tie pins I keep making him for gifts.

Thoughts turned to what would work best. At first I tried a paper-mache book, with the intention of using a ring holder for cuff-link storage. This didn’t really work as planned.

In the end I found a pine box with drawers on eBay and after a bit of effort came up with the following:

  Continue reading

Advertisements

Some finished items.

Last week I made a quick necklace for a friend to cheer her up. I Forgot to get photos myself, so excuse my friend’s pictures due to lighting being poor.

Agate Slice Pendant

Agate Slice Pendant

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today I made time to finish off a couple of items and make a friend a pendant, which has special meaning to her.

Firstly I finished off some cufflinks for Richard (pair of Darth Vader, pair of TARDIS). Mostly just varnishing.

TARDIS Ring and Cufflinks

TARDIS Ring and Cufflinks

 

Darth Vader and Dragon Cufflinks

Darth Vader and Dragon Cufflinks

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also used left over black clay for a pair of black dragons, which will get a red background and become cufflinks for Richard.

Made a cat pendant (blue background, black cat) for Nat as well. Also made myself a couple (purple background, black cat & black background, green cat), the green cat broke sadly so will have to redo that (the epoxy didn’t stick it properly and it was too curved).

 

Black Cat, green background on silver frame.

Black Cat, green background on silver frame.

Black Cat on Purple Background

Black Cat on Purple Background

Black Cat with Blue Background

Black Cat with Blue Background

Green Cat with Black Background

Green Cat with Black Background

Finished off a couple of Y Ddraig Goch brooches, one for Nat and one for my Mum. Unsure which worked best, think I might add some more black to the right hand one to define it better.

Welsh Dragon Brooches

Y Ddraig Goch Brooches

The pendants need bails adding, but otherwise are complete 🙂 not bad seeing as the cats started out not being too good (original baked backgrounds were not quite right shape wise or a little warped).

Some Work In Progress with Polymer Clay

Today I managed to get the dinner table set up against the window in the living room and sit down and try again with the polymer clay.

Rather than attempting to do two colours on same mould, tried taking a thin clay impression of the cat part in the center of the mould. Trimmed with a scalpel to get the shape closer to the edges of the impression and then a back made using a shape to get the right dimensions. As seen below:

P1050866 copy2
Black cat on green background.

The image shows it after having been baked. But I’ve yet to tidy it up. The flecks are the glitter in the clay. Reasonably happy with how this came out. Though the end of the tail ended up getting chopped off a bit

 

 

 

 

 

Next I tried using the Dr Who mould I have:

For a pair of cufflinks for Richard of a TARDIS 🙂 see below:

TARDIS Cufflinks. Prior to being finished off and cufflink blank adding.
TARDIS Cufflinks. Prior to being finished off and cufflink blank adding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As can be seen one went a little wonky, but think with a bit of sanding it should be ok.

TARDIS pendant and black cat on purple pendant. Both need some finishing work doing.
TARDIS pendant and black cat on purple pendant. Both need some finishing work doing.

I also created a TARDIS pendant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With left over black and puple clay from the TARDIS pendant and cufflinks I created a black cat on purple background pendant as seen above. Managed to make the purple background a touch too thin so it split a bit. But I think with a little work should be ok.

I still had some left over black clay at this point so made the Darth Vader heads below. They’ll form a pair of cufflinks and maybe a pendant, haven’t decided yet. The mould is much deeper than others I was using so getting the clay out is a pain at times!

P1050866 copy6
Darth Vader heads. Need some cleaning up.

Next I stated working on a gift I wanted to make for my mum, a welsh dragon brooch. The mould isn’t too deep and really just left a impression on the clay, so backed it with a square of black clay. The result is below:

P1050866 copy4
Welsh dragon brooches and black cat on green pendant

I think a bit of a wash of some kind of inks to bring the colours out will help add more definition to the dragons. But think they should work ok as brooches.

Happy I got around to trying to make some more items with clay. I have lots of moulds, but might at some point try some freelance sculpting and other techniques with it.

Have been meaning to do more jewellery for a while, but never quite seem to find the motivation to do it.

Comments welcome.

 

 

Some Work In Progress with Polymer Clay was originally published on Kelly's Creations