Some Work In Progress with Polymer Clay

Today I managed to get the dinner table set up against the window in the living room and sit down and try again with the polymer clay.

Rather than attempting to do two colours on same mould, tried taking a thin clay impression of the cat part in the center of the mould. Trimmed with a scalpel to get the shape closer to the edges of the impression and then a back made using a shape to get the right dimensions. As seen below:

P1050866 copy2
Black cat on green background.

The image shows it after having been baked. But I’ve yet to tidy it up. The flecks are the glitter in the clay. Reasonably happy with how this came out. Though the end of the tail ended up getting chopped off a bit

 

 

 

 

 

Next I tried using the Dr Who mould I have:

For a pair of cufflinks for Richard of a TARDIS 🙂 see below:

TARDIS Cufflinks. Prior to being finished off and cufflink blank adding.
TARDIS Cufflinks. Prior to being finished off and cufflink blank adding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As can be seen one went a little wonky, but think with a bit of sanding it should be ok.

TARDIS pendant and black cat on purple pendant. Both need some finishing work doing.
TARDIS pendant and black cat on purple pendant. Both need some finishing work doing.

I also created a TARDIS pendant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With left over black and puple clay from the TARDIS pendant and cufflinks I created a black cat on purple background pendant as seen above. Managed to make the purple background a touch too thin so it split a bit. But I think with a little work should be ok.

I still had some left over black clay at this point so made the Darth Vader heads below. They’ll form a pair of cufflinks and maybe a pendant, haven’t decided yet. The mould is much deeper than others I was using so getting the clay out is a pain at times!

P1050866 copy6
Darth Vader heads. Need some cleaning up.

Next I stated working on a gift I wanted to make for my mum, a welsh dragon brooch. The mould isn’t too deep and really just left a impression on the clay, so backed it with a square of black clay. The result is below:

P1050866 copy4
Welsh dragon brooches and black cat on green pendant

I think a bit of a wash of some kind of inks to bring the colours out will help add more definition to the dragons. But think they should work ok as brooches.

Happy I got around to trying to make some more items with clay. I have lots of moulds, but might at some point try some freelance sculpting and other techniques with it.

Have been meaning to do more jewellery for a while, but never quite seem to find the motivation to do it.

Comments welcome.

 

 

Some Work In Progress with Polymer Clay was originally published on Kelly's Creations

Advertisements